- Company Profile
- Contract Manufacturing
- Metals & Alloys
- What Engineers Need to Know
- Contact Us
- Material Benefits
- Testing & QC
- Creating Your Product
- Make A Purchase
- Ask a Question
Q1. How do Nordt’s High Performance FusionForged®
Nordt Engineered Precious Metals works directly with product and material engineers to develop improvements in our customer’s products by:
- Increasing your products “In Service Life”. Reducing or eliminating material failure within the prescribed life of the product or process being engineered is one of an engineer’s primary concerns. Nordt addresses that critical concern.
- Creating multi-metal solutions that improve performance and decrease material costs.
- Providing practical Precious metals manufacturing experience. This experience provides insight into the practical limits of the today’s manufacturing technology as compared with textbook theory.
Q1. How do Nordt’s High Performance FusionForged® Precious Metals address Material Failure?
A primary enemy of a metal’s useful life is porosity. By combining super-heated materials with a force equaling 450,000 tons of pressure, Nordt can virtually eliminate porosity by attaining maximum theoretical density.
- Fully Wrought Microstructure
Nordt’s ability to produce a fully wrought microstructure to these high temperature materials provides metals with ideal grain size and orientation.
- Uniform Temper or Hardness
The entire tube, rod or component formed through the FusionForged® process creates consistent temper levels throughout the product.
- Symmetrical Deformation Textures
Flow lines provide added strength.
- Optimal Mechanical Properties
Nordt materials provide improved response to applied stresses by creating materials with ideal tensile strength, yield strength and hardness.
Q2. Can Nordt really make porosity free metals?
Temperatures as high as 1200C (2200F), together with hydrostatic pressures up to 3,500 Mpa (500+ksi) and substantial plastic deformation (up to 100:1), applied simultaneously, combine to produce metals that are fully dense, free of flaws, and exhibit optimum mechanical properties. Seeing is believing!
Q3. How does Nordt metallurgically bond titanium with precious metals?
Nordt’s FusionForged® metal forming process allows 2 or more materials to be co-extruded, forming multi-ply metals of up to 7 layers of materials.
The process creates the necessary combination of heat and pressure that allows metals with certain similar characteristics to permanently bond together. Atoms migrate from one metal to the other at sufficiently similar rates to produce fully bonded material which under ideal conditions cannot be separated one from the other.
Titanium and Gold or Titanium and Silver can be FusionForged® to create optimum thicknesses of either material in order to:
- Provide only enough precious metal to accommodate the function of the designed product, thus reducing cost.
- Provide other metals that address other design needs such as strength.
- Creating sandwiched materials again provides engineers with improved thicknesses of inside and outside precious metal surfaces while providing strength or other material attributes between the precious metal layers at reduced costs.
Titanium clads are just one of hundreds of metal combinations that can be formed using the FusionForged® Process.
Precious Metals and their partner elements are simply the colors on a material palette that allow you to create your own High Performance FusionForged® Precious Metals. You, the engineer, become the artist that applies your knowledge of what material properties and characteristics are needed. At Nordt we will help you select the materials that will in a practical way accomplish your product vision.
We invite you, the engineers, to create your own FusionForged® metals to accommodate your companies precious metal product needs.